Over the years I have had many friends that were Mormons. They claimed to hold to Christian beliefs but upon close investigation they truly are not Christians. First, let me say that we should love our Mormon friends and we should pray for them to see the truth. But they most certainly are NOT Christians. We should not consider them another Christian denomination and we should be able to defend our beliefs to them. Below are some points that you can use to show them that the god that they believe in is not the Christian God.
First a little background. Joseph Smith founded the Mormon faith in the 1820’s when claims to have received special revelation from God from an angel. The angel gave him golden tablets which Smith translated into the book of Mormon. Once the translation was complete the angel took the tablets back hence doing away with any ability to verify the truth of Smiths claims. This new revelation Smith received contradicted the Bible in many ways. Smith also claimed future revelations that he wrote into other books such as the Pearl of Great Price.
- A Jewish sect from the early church left and went to America and became the American Indians. (This has been completely refuted through DNA testing showing no link between Native Americans and Jewish people).
- The church was apostate for hundreds of years until Smiths revelation.
- They believe the Bible is not inerrant but rather corrupted, yet they still give it away with the book of Mormon.
- There is always a living prophet such as Joseph Smith who gets further revelation.
- They used to believe that Africans had the mark of Cain. When the Civil Rights movement occurred they changed their mind on this because they didn’t want to be intolerant. This was additional revelation from the current living prophet of Mormonism.
- Jesus was a prophet not the Son of God.
- Polygamy was tolerated because of their view of godhood on the next point. This was seen as socially unacceptable and illegal thus they changed their mind and revelation on the point. Many Mormons still hold to polygamy as an ok practice.
- Man and God are the same. (here is where it gets just strange if it hasn’t already)
- Man can achieve exaltation or godhood. Once he does he becomes a god he inhabits his own planet and populates it with all of his wives. (this is why polygamy was an essential tenant of their faith)
- The god of earth was once a man who was exalted and achieved godhood.
- There is no transcendent nature.
- The earth and universe always has been and always will be. (Naturalism)
- There is no spirit or Holy Spirit. Only material exists.
So what does all of this mean? Mormons are in effect atheist. They fail to believe in a creator God. They elevate themselves to god status which in effect is what atheist do. They don’t believe in a monotheistic God therefore they are atheistic. At best they are polytheistic. They believe in multiple gods over multiple worlds not one Creator God who is over all of mankind. They are not Christians!!!
The best thing we can do to help a Mormon is point out these difference and use Scripture to do it. Know what we believe. They pray on ignorant Christians who don’t know what they really believe or people that think they are saved but are really not. They will come back at you as saying you are polytheistic also and they will use the trinity to attack at this point. Be able to defend it. Christianity is monotheistic. We believe in one God made of three distinct parts but part of the same being. You need to be able to defend this to them. Knowing Scripture and what you believe will give you the ability to point out their errors. They may claim that the statements above are just caricatures of Mormons and not completely accurate but if you really investigate it you will see that these claims are in fact accurate. Many Mormons deny some of these points because they are absurd. The truth is that many of them don’t even know what exactly they believe in.
The next time someone tries to say that Mormons are just another group of Christians correct them. This issue is not going away as it appears that Mitt Romney is still around. Personally, I would not vote for him for president given that he believes in these types of things. He may be the lesser of two evils but we cannot allow any credibility to be given to Mormonism. Electing one president would do just that. The next time one knocks on your door talk to them. Quote first Galatians 1:6-9 to them it reads.
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.